so we get there and the nurse says she'll just give her the shot in her thigh. i help bean pull down her pants and she sits on the table. she watches the nurse pick up the needle. she watches as the needle goes into her skin and then she says....
"ouch, that hurt me." in a very calm and even voice.
the nurse says, "yes, it does hurt, but just for a little bit. once you get up and walk around it will feel much better."
bean's reply, "yes, it will. can i have a lollipop?"
that was it. she pulled up her pants picked out a blue lollipop and we were on our way. not one tear. not one whine. nothing. the nurses were all rather impressed- i'm sure their other flu shot recipients weren't as well behaved!!
and of course, we went to the zoo next.
************
the zoo was lovely. today was probably the single best day i've spent with my kids in the past two-three weeks. seriously!
bean was interested. really interested. we talked about what the animals ate, where they lived, and thought about what they might feel like if we could touch them. we had to read all the signs. she remembered things from one exhibit to the next- those monkeys eat the same things as the parrots do! and okapis and bonobos live in the same place! it was fun talking about how the rhino and the elephant had skin that looked the same and it would probably feel rough. and how the mommy bonobo holds her baby just like i hold sprout.
we also found a friend on the ground that we could touch and discovered that he was soft.
sprout kinda liked him too.
hopefully this fantastic friday is just the beginning of a wonderful weekend. i need- no scratch that- i deserve that!
you hear that kids? mama deserves a wonderful weekend! make sure you keep that in mind. ;)
7 comments:
Wow! Way to go BEAN! :) I didn't tell Adam about his flu shot, that he will get on his 3 year check-up. I don't think I'll tell him.
Aww, his hat isn't dorky! I love hats on babies.
Oh, and hey, talk about some "Bean Power"! That kid of yours rocks. :)
Good for Bean being so brave - I am totally impressed!
Oh my gosh, she is so brave! Getting a shot for Ben these days is like the biggest deal on the planet. I meant the drama is close to unreal. So, yeah, I admit, I am a little jealous. ; )
Cute worm!
So, did you get the wonderful weekend that you deserve and need? I sure hope so! The zoo sounds awesome.
But c'mon Mom, don't you know it takes more than a shot to get Bean down?! What a champ.
Oh, and the hat? Not dorky, cute!
These days with the kids make it all worthwhile I think. The interactions. The learning. The laughs. I kind of miss em. We do gym and 'shopping' now :-)
Way to go, Bean! What a tough girl!
Post a Comment