Sunday, September 07, 2008

The Trouble With Names...

sprout was very hard for us to name. hubby and i liked totally different style boys names. we each hated the other's choices. we both agreed that the name shouldn't be overly common though. we ended up choosing a name from my list and hubby picked the middle name. we felt satisfied with the name. it was a strong name and neither of us knew any kids with that name. as a matter of fact, we only knew of two people with the name. i guy that went to my high school and a professional baseball player.

so, of course, when sprout was 2 days old we started hearing about all these other "sprouts". there was a little boy two houses down from my brother, my niece had one in her sunday school class, someone else said there were two in their child's preschool class, my sister's neighbor decided that her yet to be born son would be named that. since then we've heard of at least 5 more. i guess it was bound to happen. you don't notice how common a name is until you've actually named your kid that. and now there is going to be even more little "sprout's" running around.
why? well, one of the parenting magazines has listed "226 brilliant baby names" and sprouty's name is on that list. (in the "country clubber" category. good grief! i can't believe i gave my son a preppy "country clubber" name!! gah! we are so NOT preppy country club type people!!!!) so you know the name will go up in usage now because it has become more visible... and apparently it is "brilliant"! ;)

the worst part of all of this, the thing that really actually bothers me about it, is that we have now heard of three girls using this name! why? why do people see the need to use perfectly good boy name for their little girls?? there are tons of lovely girl names! we are running out of boy names because the girls keep stealing them.
sigh.
i don't regret sprout's name at all. it is his name. i can't imagine him called anything else. i guess i'm just a little bummed about the girl thing.at least he doesn't look girly, right? i mean, he's clearly a super cute, chubby-wubby, adorable BOY.

9 comments:

Brittany said...

So... I went blank on what Sprout's name is. HA HA. I get so used to calling him "Sprout" on here, that I couldn't remember his REAL name (well, ok...so I remembered after about 10 seconds)... anyway... He's the only kid I know, with his name, if that makes you feel any better! :)

He is so cute. I could eat him up. :)

Unknown said...

Ok, so I have that issue of Parents and I had to go look up the list you were talking about and there are ONLY 2 names that I can even imagine being possible for a girl (and it's a slim possibility!) I am sure is name is perfect for him!

He's SOOOO cute!

Maggie said...

He is definitely all boy, so I wouldn't worry. And he is starting to look so much like Bean - wow!

Unknown said...

p.s. I also meant to say that we too picked a name for G that we thought wasn't very popular and then - guess what!? ; )

Rebekah said...

He's definitely all boy! I understand what you mean about names though. I loved Isabel and Madelyn for years before they became so popular. And boy's names becoming girl's names. . .that drives me crazy too!

Christina said...

Okay, I am just cracking up at the preppy country club picture. Too funny!

Obviously, you started a new trend - everyone else is realizing what a brilliant name it is now that you used it!!! I admit, I have a hard time thinking of him as anything but SPROUT, but I think his name suits him. And I can only think of 2 people I've ever known by that name - and both BOYS! I can't imagine calling a girl that...and I hate it when people do that with good solid names!

Unknown said...

Used as a GIRL name? Really?! Huh.
I know that Addison was originally a boy's name, but I think b/c it is so close to Madison, and I've never actually met a boy Addison - I thought it was ok for a girl. And same thing...as soon as she was born it has become incredibly popular. And Emma Grace...well, that is clearly on the top of the list. Always. But, yeah - I can't imagine the girls as anything else and don't regret either of them.

And our sprout is clearly all boy..so I wouldn't worry about that. He could quite possibly e a country club prepster...ya never know! :-)

Arizaphale said...

Yea, he looks a bit preppy in that picture you know! :-D
The Baby Angel has a very uncommon name but people always confuse it with a common one which ticks us both off. I must say I have difficulty thinking of Sprout as anything other than Sprout although I think his name is very cool.

kim said...

Definitely all boy!

If it's the name, I'm thinking of, I know a little girl by that name, too. I'm pretty sure I looked at her mom like, "you named your little girl what?" when she told me the name. I thought it was a little odd.