Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Day After...

part 2 of the nap time drama (part one here): so far so good. she is in the bed... clearly NOT sleeping, but she is quietly flipping through a book. what is the difference? i couldn't tell you for sure.
when daddy came home last night we talked about what happened at "nap time". i told her how sad it made me when she screamed and yelled like that. i told her she was so loud that it hurt the magpie's ears. i explained why it was important to rest. she interrupted several times to tell me that she "didn't want to rest". i reminded her to listen when mommy talked. i really didn't think it did any good.
today, i told her we would read some of the new library books then she was going to bed. she didn't seem happy but didn't fight it too much. we read 5 books. she sat on the potty (because it is a ploy to stay up longer). i let her pick two books to take to bed. i laid her in bed...... she didn't scream. she looked at me and asked me to rub her tummy. so i did. she asked me to rub it again. i said "ok, just once more. then we blow kisses." she said, "ok. i won't do it again though mommy." i said "what honey?" she said "the screaming. i not do it again." i said "oh, thank you. i appreciate that." she said "welcome". we blew kisses and i left the room.
what?!?!?!
i know she probably doesn't need a nap everyday, and i'm ok with that. but i really think that she would benefit from at least 3 naps a week. it isn't that she is particularly cranky or otherwise bad. she just looks tired sometimes. and i'm sure a 2 year old should get more than 11.5 hours of sleep a day. but i can't force her to sleep. so what do i do?

oh, guess who likes grapefruit? yeah, bean does! she had it before and hated it and i thought that was perfectly normal, i mean it is sour and all! today she insisted on trying it again (that in itself is weird because she DOES NOT try things). she took a piece and licked it... "mmmmmmm" she says. she ate about 4-5 pieces total. she declared that she "wikes grapefruit!" so, this leaves us with only one fruit she won't eat- the dreaded pineapple! ;) now, if i could just get her to try meat again........

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Shew! I'm glad today wasn't a repeat shriek event. :) And kudos to her for eating some grapefuit. I won't touch the stuff myself!

Brittany said...

wow. Hope that lasts!

Yay! Grapefruit. I need to try that one out on adam.

Christina said...

Whew! I'm so glad it went well today. That's awesome she has those reasoning skills and understanding.

You know, I don't think I've tried grapefruit with Nadia. But I have one sitting in the bowl...maybe tomorrow. She loves pineapple, tho, and so do I!