Sunday, January 25, 2009

Best Shot Monday

i nearly never talk about the magpie. that is kinda sad seeing as she was my very first "baby". even though she drives me up the gosh darn wall most days i love her to death. i remember when i had my miscarriage. she got up in bed with me and nestled herself right up against me in what we refer to as "ball form". she never moved. she seemed to know that i needed someone and even though she couldn't speak her gesture spoke volumes. it strengthened our bond.

she is a sweet animal but she has never really taken to bean. she tolerates bean and she would definitely protect bean BUT she sees bean as the little person who took her place. apparently animals can hold grudges too! she seems to be much more interested and tolerant of sprout. he can actually tug on her without getting a warning growl! maybe she is softening up in her old age?

magpie will be 7 in a couple of weeks. 7 years old. that is when dogs are considered "senior citizens". it is kinda scary to think that in just a couple of years magpie could be gone. that is the worst thing about dogs- their life span is shorter than ours. so, this year i'm making sure to spend the "good time" with the magpie. there will be more walks, more playing, more petting and snuggling. and what the heck, more treats too. after all, i have no idea how much time we have left.





she looks a little old and sad in these pictures but i assure you that she's not. she just is a little annoyed that i'm disturbing her nap- her 4 hour nap. (oh to be a dog and have your job description say that you need to take several multi-hour naps a day!!)

these are my best shots this week. what are yours of?? :)

16 comments:

Rebekah said...

Our poor dog is going through the same thing. When we had Steven, I felt so guilty I started letting her sleep in our bed. (Our last dog wasn't even allowed in our room!)

She's pretty tolerant with Steven, but she is showing her limits a bit more (such as no more standing on her!). WE try to keep him off her, but she likes to sleep between the couch and the coffee table, and he likes to stand there and play too.

We have yet to see what she thinks of Michelle. We only put her on the floor when Steven is in bed and Sadie is in the other room. She'd be trampled for sure!

iMother2.0 said...

ohhh that last shot really got me!
Our Niles (in my BSM) is 13, and I have the same thoughts in my head about him :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet doggie! :) My dog drives me nuts, too, but I love her. I can't bear to think about her being gone. Enjoy the snuggles! :D

Christina said...

We don't have a dog...but we do have a cat, and he's pretty old. I have the same thoughts about him.

The last shot here is sooo sweet!

Joanna said...

I think the same thing about our dog who will be 7 this year too. Dogs provide so much love to a family, dont they? Love these shots.

Brittany said...

Awww what beautiful photos of Magpie! :) I am not sure I feel the same about my dog. Somehow, the dog that was supposed to be "andy's" hates him, and only likes me. grr.

(PS- if you don't hear from me it's because I have the flu. BAD. I've not left my bed since Saturday night. Fever and everything.
It's B A D.)

Jen said...

Yep, we are in the same boat. Our dog is just tolerant of our kids. Wonderful shots of your "first" baby.

natalie said...

Before we KNEW I was pregnant with M, our lab would sit on my feet if I was sitting down. She wouldn't leave my side. After our two miscarriages, the dog spent endless hours curled up with me on the bed acting as my tissue. I'm not sure what we'll do when she's gone. She definitely knows her place in our family, but she's been a treasured pet.

And she would NEVER let me take pictures of her like that. If the camera is out, she poses for it.

Precious.

Kimberly said...

She's such a pretty dog. Hearing about how she comforted you makes me want to hug her. What a sweetheart.

Unknown said...

Love these pics of your magpie! Dogs are the best, IMHO. I hope you have LOTS of time left with her! : )

Unknown said...

we have 2 cats that are in the same sorta boat as poor 'ol magpie. not quite forgotten, but not quite the center of attention they once were!

i love that she is just pissy that you were distrubing her nap! that is a very cat-like thing!!

Rose said...

She is so sweet! I love the processing - it just makes her look that much softer and sweeter. We have Duke-the-dog, he's getting up there in age too. Only we don't know how old since he's a rescue pup, but he's got some good gray hair going on now.

kim said...

She looks like a pup in those pictures. We're in the same situation with our dog... She's never truly accepted the kids, though she does tolerate them. That must be what happens when dogs come first. I think my kids are winning over our old dog though, because they love to give her treats and food from the table.

Arizaphale said...

May she be around for MANY years to come!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! May she be around for MANY, MANY years...but 7 is really not that old for dogs...especially those of mixed heritage..

Now that we have switched our pets to better food (I did extensive research on the subject - and in the end we ended up improving our eating habits/foods also) they live well into their teens with quite a lot of activeness in their lives...although old age is finally creeping up on them and they fall asleep standing up!

She is a sweet looking dog...such a pretty face!

Maggie said...

What a sweet, sweet girl she is. Now I have to go off and cuddle with my pup...