Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Car Conversation

we are driving to the zoo. (the zoo near the in laws house also has a light display and grandma wanted to take the kids.) suddenly bean blurts out this...

"i think i want to be a teacher when i grow up."

huh?
"oh yeah?" i respond.

"yeah, or..... maybe a football player."

what?!? really??
"a football player?"

"yes" (long pause) "but i really wish to be a teacher."

"well, i'm sure you'll be a very good teacher," i say

(longer pause)

"mommy?" she says.

"what baby?" i reply.

"i'm just not sure what i want to be when i grow up!"

(i must admit i snickered to myself at this point- i mean she is three and seemed truly worried about what she is going to be when she grows up! how amusing!)
"oh you have tons of time to figure that out sweetie. TONS of time. there are lots of jobs out there. some you probably haven't even heard of yet."

she smiles and looks out the window. i think the conversation is over and i turn back to start talking to my mother in law again. just as i start to speak she says:
"oh! maybe i could be a ballerina. i think i would like to be a ballerina... or a baseball player... or a golf player... or a soccer player..."

"oh you must really like sports," i say.

and she replies, "no, not really. (pause) i guess i'll just be a ballerina."

hmmmmm. ok.
"you'll make a beautiful ballerina," i tell her.

"yep" is her reply.

:)

7 comments:

Brittany said...

ha ha ha. yes, a beautiful one indeed!

Christina said...

haha, these kids are so freakin funny! She's a riot. And maybe she and Nadia can be partners, as she plans to be a ballerina, too. Or maybe a Daddy - she also told me that once. huh?!

Arizaphale said...

Sadly, the BA and I have had similar conversations at age 12-13!! I say sad only because I think it is sad that so much pressure is put on kids, nowadays,to decide what they want to do when they are still very young. The BA was devastated that everyone seemed to know what they wanted to do except her. I assured her that at 12 I wanted to be a secret agent so not to worry too much.
I think Bean would be an excellent teacher too.

Unknown said...

oh i love her! happiest of new years to you all!

B. A. D. said...

Funny Bean. Sorry to hear you guys have been under the weather, I hope everyone is feeling better now. (Sorry,I am a little behind in reading blogs recently)

Unknown said...

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna be when I grow up... ; )

She's too cute...

Happy New Year!

Kimberly said...

It's been a while since you posted, which is rare for you, so I just wanted to pop in and say hi and that I hope you are all well!