totally had to share the events of late afternoon because... OH MY GOSH!
some of you may know how weird and annoying my one set of neighbors are. (i've ranted about them before) i will say again that they are nice people just very odd and they, um, DRIVE ME NUTS! ;) my story involves them... here is a tad bit of background for you: they just adopted a baby girl after several years of trying to have another. she is about 2.5-3 weeks old.
now, the story:
i am sitting in the living room with bean playing. i hear voices outside. i look out the window. neighbor lady and her son (soon to be 5) are running down the middle of the street trying to fly a kite. the five year old in a long sleeve t-shirt, the mom is wearing a coat. then i notice that sitting in the middle of their driveway is a bouncy seat containing new little baby girl. new baby girl is wearing a pair of feetie pajamas and a sweater. i can see her bare little hands flailing around and she has NOTHING on her head. it is about 50 degrees out at this time! fast forward about 15 minutes.... i hear the baby crying. i look out. baby is still in the bouncy, older brother is standing at the end of the driveway (about 6 inches from the street) and mom is.... wait a second, where is mom?!?! oh yes, it appears that she is INSIDE. about 2 minutes later she comes out of the house with a plastic bag for the boy and a binky for the baby. this child is still not wearing a hat or blanket. they stay out for another 10-15 minutes!
i'm sorry but that poor little child had to be freezing!!! my daughter- over 2 years old- was chilly when she was out and she was wearing a coat over her long sleeve shirt. seriously, bean's fingers felt like icicles (and so did her cute as a button nose). can you imagine having a 3 week old baby outside today without a hat and blanket?!?!? i'm usually not so judgmental about parenting "choices"- we all make mistakes after all. BUT she is dressing herself warmer than her children AND leaving them outside in front of their house completely unsupervised! this just screams stupidity to me.
of course, what should i expect from them... they let their son help mow the lawn. yes, you read that right, he helps mow the lawn and has since he was about 3. (the let him help push the mower) it scares the crap out of me every time i see it! kids should not be near lawn mowers! gah!
am i right about this? this is a total OH MY GOODNESS WHAT IS SHE THINKING moment, is it not? i mean, wow just... WOW!
4 comments:
oh my.
I've heard other stories about crazy lady, but i think this one tops them all. wow. Poor little baby girl. (I didn't realize they adopted!!! Maybe someone should come back out and check on this family?)
oh dear. It sounds like she is clueless. I suspect I will not be handing her any Flaming Sword Awards. I have a friend in the UK who was similarly clueless. She used to let her 3 year old son go into the public men's toilets on his own. I am trying to remember whether I left the Baby Angel alone ANYWHERE at 3 weeks....let alone in front of the house unsupervised and underdressed. Der. She probably means well. Could you have run out and offered a blanket pointedly? Like,"I thought I'd save you the trouble of going back in yourself...."........Nah, I guess it sounds too obvious. Good luck with those neighbours.
Wow. I've heard some crazy parenting stories, and this one has got to make the Top Ten list. that really is disturbing. Poor little baby girl! I wonder if the adoption agency will be doing anymore follow up visits...
holy crap. and i thought my neighbors were crazy? i, too, hate to be judgmental, but COME ON! we are talking common sense here! 3 freakin' weeks old?! and that is just the start of what is so, so wrong there...
Post a Comment